Friday, December 24, 2010

Keepin' It Real.

Day before yesterday at school, I had a client.

Unusual? No.

I gave him a haircut.

Unusual? Not a bit.

I took him to the front desk, and he paid for his haircut.
Unusual? Not remotely.

He continued rummaging around in his wallet after paying, presumably for a tip (I did a pretty good job on his haircut, if I do say so myself. Haha.).

Unusual? Nope.

I said, "Merry Christmas!" as he continued rummaging in his wallet.

Unusual? At this time of year? Of course not.

And then - and then - AND THEN, he looked up from his wallet, glared at me quite pointedly, shoved his wallet back in his pocket and said, "Happy Holidays," with the most un-cheerful face I ever saw.

Unusual? Why yes. Yes, it is, rather.

I assume I offended him by my use of Christmas.

I was only sorry that he didn't tip me.

You know, some people would have felt really bad, and in their remorse, apologized for the offense or some such nonsense. And in other instances, that would be the proper thing to do. But in this case, I don't feel as if there's anything to be offended at. After all, the holiday IS named "Christmas". And Jesus IS what it's all about. So... how am I to blame for "offending" you if I use the term? It's the name of the holiday, and the reason for the season, so, seriously, get over it.

Just keepin' it real over here.